City of Box Elder
Job Title: Sewer Foreman
Closing Date: Position Open Until Filled
Pay Range: $19.38 to $26.88 per hour, dependent upon experience
New employees typically start at the low end of the pay range.
This is a full-time position located in the Public Works Building; normal schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; working some evenings and weekends.
PURPOSE OF JOB
- Operates equipment to install and repair water and sewer system components;
- Operates snow plows and other equipment to assist in removal of snow from city streets;
- Assist in maintenance of city parks and grounds;
- Assists in operations to repair and maintain city streets and roads;
- Supervise and direct the work of personnel as assigned;
- Plans and directs work activities for routine maintenance and emergency repairs to the water and sewer system;
- Inspects and monitors water wells;
- Inspects and monitors sewage lift stations;
- Assist in installation of traffic safety devices at work sites;
- Assists with special city events;
- Assists with storm clean-up operations;
- Responds to after-hours emergencies;
- Completes pre- and post-trip vehicle and equipment inspections;
- Assists in installation and repairs to street and traffic signs;
- Performs related duties.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent; Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with three or more years’ experience or service; Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of South Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated; Possession of all Level II Certifications from the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources as a Water or Wastewater Operator or ability to attain within 6 months; High School Diploma or GED; Possession of or ability to obtain, within six (6) months, a South Dakota Commercial driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in street, utility, and ground maintenance;
- Knowledge of city and departmental safety policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of the geography of the city, including street names and locations;
- Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, trucks and equipment;
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work;
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools;
- Skill in oral and written communication;
- Skill in directing and monitoring staff;
- Skill in training staff, assigning and directing work, performance appraisals, addressing complaints, and resolving problems both on a job site and with customers;
- Skill in project evaluation to determine staff, equipment, and material needs to accomplish work;
- Skill in reading plans and specifications and providing necessary inspections and reviews of contractor installed improvements to the City.
Applicants selected for interviews may be subjected to an appropriate background check.
Submit a complete application, letter of interest resume and transcripts to the following address:
City of Box Elder
420 Villa Drive
Box Elder, SD 57719
Please note: Applications are available here. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Resumes are required and are not reviewed in lieu of your application; therefore, ensure your application is complete.
MAJOR BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME REGULAR EMPLOYEES:
Five (5) days’ vacation; Six (6) days of personal paid time off; ten ½ paid holidays; Employee Health (includes Dental) and Life Insurance; Short Term Disability; Long Term Disability and Retirement benefits; Social Security contributions; other optional benefits. PROBATION: An established probationary period must be satisfactorily served by each employee. NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made for an “otherwise qualified applicant” with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process.