City of Box Elder
Job Title: Streets Foreman
Closing Date: Position Open Until Filled
Pay Range: $19.38 to $26.88 per hour, dependent upon experience
New employees typically start at the low end of the pay range.
This is a full-time position located in the Public Works Building; normal schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; working some evenings and weekends.
Under the direction of Streets/Parks Superintendent, assigns and supervises crews, and contractors involved in the maintenance of streets, signs, and pavement markings, as well as training, events, and emergency management coordination.
PURPOSE OF JOB
- Maintenance of City Streets and Rights-of-way.
- Blade and maintain gravel streets and alleys.
- Perform pavement maintenance such as pothole patching, curb & gutter and sidewalk repairs.
- Perform pavement maintenance survey / evaluation and assist in development of annual pavement maintenance plan.
- Operates snow plows and other equipment to assist in removal of snow from city streets.
- Assist in maintenance of city parks and grounds.
- Have excellent understanding of grades and alignment for street and drainage improvements and maintenance.
- Read and understand plans and specifications.
- Be capable of performing evaluation and inspections of developer installed improvement for compliance with City Codes, development standards and plans and specification for improvements.
- Keep materials neatly and safely stockpiled. Be able to load and unload productively, efficiently and safely.
- Load and unload equipment, pipe and other materials on and off trucks safely.
- Backfill or compact to support pipe crew.
- Operate machine consistent with company safety policies as well as any rules and regulations required by state and federal safety standards.
- Possess training or certification required in certain operations or be willing to acquire training or certification.
- Oil, grease or otherwise service and make necessary adjustments or repairs to equipment.
- Keep equipment clean and in good working condition. Report need for repairs to the supervisor or shop immediately.
- Perform pre-operation equipment inspections.
- Installation and repair of street lights.
- Inspect and repair street signs.
- Complete necessary paperwork regarding repairs or hour and miles on a daily basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Working knowledge of maintaining roads, roadways, traffic flow signs, and pavement markings.
- 2 + year experience in a supervisory role and office operation.
- Computer literate.
- Safe operation of vehicles, equipment, and hand tools.
- Sitting, walking, standing, bending, pulling, pushing for extended periods in all terrain and environmental conditions.
- Indoor/outdoor year-round, as required; possible exposure to extreme weather conditions.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in street, utility, and ground maintenance.
- Knowledge of city and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the geography of the city, including street names and locations.
- Knowledge of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, trucks and equipment.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in directing and monitoring staff
- Skill in training staff, assigning and directing work, performance appraisals, addressing complaints, and resolving problems both on a job site and with customers.
- Skill in project evaluation to determine staff, equipment, and material needs to accomplish work.
- Skill in reading plans and specifications and providing necessary inspections and reviews of contractor installed improvements to the City.
Applicants selected for interviews may be subjected to an appropriate background check.
Submit a complete application, letter of interest resume and transcripts to the following address:
City of Box Elder
420 Villa Drive
Box Elder, SD 57719
Please note: Applications are available here. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Resumes are required and are not reviewed in lieu of your application; therefore, ensure your application is complete.
MAJOR BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME REGULAR EMPLOYEES:
New full-time employees receive five (5) days’ vacation; Six (6) days of personal paid time off; nine paid holidays; Employee Health (includes Dental) and Life Insurance; Short Term Disability; Long Term Disability and Retirement benefits; Social Security contributions; other optional benefits.
PROBATION: An established probationary period must be satisfactorily served by each employee.
NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made for an “otherwise qualified applicant” with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process.