Facilities Maintenance& Event Coordinator
City of Box Elder
Job Title: Facilities Maintenance & Event Coordinator
Closing Date: Position Open Until Filled
Pay Range: $19.38 to $22.63 per hour, dependent upon experience
New employees typically start at the low end of the pay range.
This is a full-time position located in the Box Elder City Hall; schedule to be determined upon interview; possible evening and weekend shifts.
These positions report directly to the Public Works Assistant Director of Operations.
PURPOSE OF JOB
This position is responsible for performing preventive and responsive maintenance on city buildings and for coordinating event center reservations and events.
- Maintains and repairs city buildings; inspects buildings to determine maintenance and repair needs.
- Maintains facility grounds; mows grass; maintains flower beds, removes ice and snow from sidewalks.
- Troubleshoots and repairs plumbing systems.
- Changes batteries in equipment as needed.
- Repairs and paints walls.
- Waxes and polishes floors.
- Installs furniture and decor.
- Maintains and monitors Event Center and parks reservations; enforces rules and regulations; ensures that space, equipment, and supplies are returned in proper condition; reports damaged items.
- Assists in preparing for city events.
- Washes, folds, and puts away linens following events.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of building maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of custodial maintenance principles, practices, tools, and chemicals.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of scheduling principles and related software.
- Skill in the use of grounds maintenance equipment.
- Skill in the use of cleaning equipment.
- Skill in the use of hand power tools.
- Skill in problem-solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
The Assistant Public Works Director of operations assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include city ordinances, traffic laws, cleaning checklists, equipment user manuals, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of related equipment operation duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to operate equipment to assist with a variety of department operations. Successful performance contributes to the provision of a safe a well-maintained city streets, grounds, and infrastructure.
- The work consists of related facility maintenance and event coordinator duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to maintain city facilities and coordinate event center and park events. Successful performance in this position contributes to the efficient and effective maintenance and use of city facilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
• The work is typically performed in an office, stockroom, warehouse, and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- • Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with high school education.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of South Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Applicants selected for interviews may be subjected to an appropriate background check.
Submit a completed application, letter of interest, resume, and transcripts to the following address:
City of Box Elder
Human Resources/Personnel Department
420 Villa Drive
Box Elder, SD 57719
Please note: Applications are available here. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Resumes are required and are not reviewed in lieu of your application; therefore, ensure your application is complete.
MAJOR BENEFITS FOR FULL-TIME REGULAR EMPLOYEES:
New full-time employees receive five (5) days’ vacation; Six (6) days of personal paid time off; nine paid holidays; Employee Health (includes Dental) and Life Insurance; Short Term Disability; Long Term Disability and Retirement benefits; Social Security contributions; other optional benefits.
PROBATION: An established probationary period must be satisfactorily served by each employee.
NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made for an “otherwise qualified applicant” with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process.